16-bit

Open-source projects categorized as 16-bit

Top 13 16-bit Open-Source Projects

• scamp-cpu

A homebrew 16-bit CPU with a homebrew Unix-like-ish operating system.

• Project mention: 500 Lines or Less – Writing a useful program in fewer than 500 line code – AOSA | news.ycombinator.com | 2023-10-08

Re the text editor, when I was writing an editor for my homemade CPU I used the one from this tutorial: https://viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/index.html - it is 1000 lines of C.

I have diverged a bit from the tutorial because I didn't want syntax highlighting and I really wanted vi-style keybindings. Mine is at https://github.com/jes/scamp-cpu/blob/master/sys/kilo.sl (in my made-up programming language).

• semblance

Disassembler for Windows executables. Supports 16-bit NE (New Executable), MZ (DOS), and PE (Portable Executable, i.e. Win32) files.

• InfluxDB

Power Real-Time Data Analytics at Scale. Get real-time insights from all types of time series data with InfluxDB. Ingest, query, and analyze billions of data points in real-time with unbounded cardinality.

InfluxDB logo
  • bit-serial

A bit-serial CPU written in VHDL, with a simulator written in C.

• Project mention: The ancient world before computers had stacks or heaps | news.ycombinator.com | 2024-04-03

I wrote a Forth interpreter for a SUBLEQ machine (https://github.com/howerj/subleq), and for a bit-serial machine (https://github.com/howerj/bit-serial), both of which do not have a function call stack which is a requirement of Forth. SUBLEQ also does not allow indirect loading and stores as well and requires self-modifying code to do anything non-trivial. The approach I took for both machines was to build a virtual machine that could do those things, along with cooperative multithreading. The heap, if required, is written in Forth, along with a floating point word-set (various MCUs not having instructions for floating point numbers is still fairly common, and can be implemented as calls to software functions that implement them instead).

I would imagine that other compilers took a similar approach which wasn't mentioned.

• ambermoon

Historical source code and documents related to Ambermoon, the role-playing game developed by Thalion Software GmbH, and published for the Commodore Amiga in 1993. (by jhorneman)

• Project mention: Historical source code and documents related to Ambermoon and Amberstar RPGs from early 90s | /r/retrogamedev | 2023-05-17
  • ricochlime

Satisfying slime shooter

• Project mention: ⟳ 0 apps added, 41 updated at f-droid.org | /r/FDroidUpdates | 2023-12-07

Ricochlime (version 1.0.6): Satisfying slime shooter

• subleq

16-bit SUBLEQ CPU running eForth - just for fun

• Project mention: The ancient world before computers had stacks or heaps | news.ycombinator.com | 2024-04-03

I wrote a Forth interpreter for a SUBLEQ machine (https://github.com/howerj/subleq), and for a bit-serial machine (https://github.com/howerj/bit-serial), both of which do not have a function call stack which is a requirement of Forth. SUBLEQ also does not allow indirect loading and stores as well and requires self-modifying code to do anything non-trivial. The approach I took for both machines was to build a virtual machine that could do those things, along with cooperative multithreading. The heap, if required, is written in Forth, along with a floating point word-set (various MCUs not having instructions for floating point numbers is still fairly common, and can be implemented as calls to software functions that implement them instead).

I would imagine that other compilers took a similar approach which wasn't mentioned.

• OpenNitemare3D

reimplementation of the 1994 FPS Nitemare 3D

• SaaSHub

SaaSHub - Software Alternatives and Reviews. SaaSHub helps you find the best software and product alternatives

SaaSHub logo
  • amberstar

Historical source code and documents related to Amberstar, the role-playing game developed by Thalion Software GmbH, and published for the Atari ST in 1992.

• Project mention: Historical source code and documents related to Ambermoon and Amberstar RPGs from early 90s | /r/retrogamedev | 2023-05-17
  • mandelbrot

Mandelbrot set drawers for vintage hardware (by encse)

• x86-kernel

A hobby kernel developed from scratch using i8086 assembly

• AGI2_16bit_DOS

Adventure Game Interpreter (AGI) v2.440 Game Engine for DOS (16-bit)

• REminiCRT

Flashback with CRT emulation shader

• Modernish-etch-a-sketch

A take on the classic game etch a sketch using tasm, dosbox, Arduino and a bit of 3d modeling.

NOTE: The open source projects on this list are ordered by number of github stars. The number of mentions indicates repo mentiontions in the last 12 Months or since we started tracking (Dec 2020).

16-bit related posts

• The ancient world before computers had stacks or heaps

3 projects | news.ycombinator.com | 3 Apr 2024
  • Show HN: Computing with just one instruction – Forth on SUBLEQ

1 project | news.ycombinator.com | 1 Jan 2023
  • SUBLEQ eForth book

1 project | /r/Forth | 15 Jul 2022
  • AGI2 - DOS Game Engine (Sierra On-Line Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc)

1 project | /r/asm | 21 Aug 2021
  • Show HN: A single instruction computer running Forth

1 project | news.ycombinator.com | 3 Jul 2021
  • Someone could run this for me?

1 project | /r/c64 | 18 Feb 2021
  • Show HN: Computing with just one instruction – Forth on SUBLEQ

1 project | news.ycombinator.com | 18 Feb 2021
  • A note from our sponsor - SaaSHub
    www.saashub.com | 5 May 2024
    SaaSHub helps you find the best software and product alternatives Learn more →

Index

What are some of the best open-source 16-bit projects? This list will help you:

Project Stars
1 scamp-cpu 283
2 semblance 131
3 bit-serial 109
4 ambermoon 60
5 ricochlime 54
6 subleq 52
7 OpenNitemare3D 41
8 amberstar 35
9 mandelbrot 15