Similar projects and alternatives to doctree
doctree reviews and mentions
1 project | reddit.com/r/patient_hackernews | 30 Apr 20221 project | reddit.com/r/hackernews | 30 Apr 2022
Quite a lot, actually! It's definitely not ready for prime-time usage or anything, but:
* There are some Docker commands you can use to try it out on some Go code right now (still working on getting binary releases for each OS so Docker is not necessary)
* There's a not-too-bad frontend (written in Elm), screenshots in the README are real & it all functions!
* There's an indexer implemented for the Go language that runs tree-sitter queries & emits a basic schema, the idea is each language would emit to a common schema like this and then the frontend can serve it, we can index it for search, etc.
So, I mean, yeah - just a week into it, but like - you can already view documentation for Go functions in it so moving quickly!
Whoa, hey everyone! Wasn't expecting to see this on HN! I've literally only done a week of work on this, so it's super early stages. Here are our plans for it:
* 100% OSS tool, run locally on your machine (static Go binary) or use https://doctree.dev (plug in a repository name, get docs) - really want this to be a proper, useful FOSS tool.
* The online version doesn't exist yet, we do own the domain :)
* Will work with any language, based on tree-sitter.
* Will provide symbol-level search functionality.
* We're thinking we can leverage Sourcegraph's open source code index to do statistical analysis of how functions are commonly called (what parameters look like most often), similar to https://codestat.dev, so that we can surface real-world usage examples automatically.
Tech details (again, just a week in):
* Go for backend, Elm for frontend
* Indexers will be written in Go, use tree-sitter queries to produce a standard index schema which then gets served to Elm frontend for rendering. https://github.com/sourcegraph/doctree/blob/main/doctree/sch...
Probably so early stages it's not worth trying out right now, but if you're interested in it we set up a Discord server for collaboration, etc.
Happy to answer any questions!
Doctree – First-class library docs tool
1 project | news.ycombinator.com | 20 Apr 2022
sourcegraph/doctree is an open source project licensed under Apache License 2.0 which is an OSI approved license.