8-bit

Open-source projects categorized as 8-bit

Top 21 8-bit Open-Source Projects

• fantasy

A curated list of available fantasy consoles/computers.

• Project mention: Picotron Is a Fantasy Workstation | news.ycombinator.com | 2024-03-21

There are plenty of alternatives you could find on [1] in the context of fantasy console, almost all of them, oss or proprietary, active or dormant. And honestly many of them were inspired by PICO-8.

[1]: https://github.com/paladin-t/fantasy

• CROSS-LIB

CROSS LIB - A universal 8-bit library and some games built with it

• InfluxDB

Power Real-Time Data Analytics at Scale. Get real-time insights from all types of time series data with InfluxDB. Ingest, query, and analyze billions of data points in real-time with unbounded cardinality.

InfluxDB logo
  • lzsa

Byte-aligned, efficient lossless packer that is optimized for fast decompression on 8-bit micros

• AgonLight

A stand-alone, BASIC-programmable microcontroller and microcomputer in one! The fastest, cheapest, most hackable 8-bit computer ever.

• Project mention: recommendations for chip & board setup | /r/Forth | 2023-06-08

Pre-assembled, the Agon Light sure seems to be the sweet spot for Z80. It's cheaper than I can populate my own clone board on.

• hbc-56

Homebrew 6502 on a backplane computer

• Project mention: Alternative designs for a keyboard interface? | /r/beneater | 2023-12-09

I use a PIC16F microcontroller. Schematics and PIC code in my HBC-56 repo. https://github.com/visrealm/hbc-56

• arv32-opt

[Tested successfully] Linux on Arduino UNO / atmega328p port of mini-rv32ima. Let's run Linux on the world's worst Linux PC (and beat Dmitry Grinberg)

• Project mention: Linux on RISC-V on Arduino Uno | news.ycombinator.com | 2023-10-14
  • Mad-Pascal

Mad Pascal Compiler for 6502 (Atari XE/XL, C64, C4Plus, Neo6502)

• Project mention: tebe6502/Mad-Pascal: Mad Pascal Compiler for 6502 (Atari XE/XL, C64, C4Plus) | /r/c64 | 2023-07-20
  • WorkOS

The modern identity platform for B2B SaaS. The APIs are flexible and easy-to-use, supporting authentication, user identity, and complex enterprise features like SSO and SCIM provisioning.

WorkOS logo
  • apultra

Free open-source compressor for apLib with 5-7% better ratios

• salvador

A free, open-source compressor for the ZX0 format

• pixel-weather

A pixelated weather widget for your desktop

• AgonORIGINS

A stand-alone, BASIC-programmable microcontroller and microcomputer in one! The fastest, cheapest, most hackable 8-bit computer ever.

• Project mention: Agon light ORIGINS [eZ80 computer] | news.ycombinator.com | 2023-12-16
  • ts-8-bit

Using TypeScript's Type System to do 8-bit Arithmetic

• TileGameLib

TileGameLib is a toolkit for quick and easy development of tile-based, pseudo-8-bit games.

• Project mention: I made a new interpreted, low-level programming language from scratch that allows you to create tile-based, pseudo-8-bit minigames for Windows (open-source on GitHub, C++ project using SDL 2) | /r/programming | 2023-05-16

I have actually developed a separated library called TGL.lib that implements both tiles, smooth scrolling and also sprites which can move freely on top of the tile buffers and can detect collisions between each other (https://github.com/FernandoAiresCastello/TileGameLib). I'm going to include some of that same functionality into PTM version 2.

• NESTool

Tool to create and manage assets for a NES game.

• spectrum-desolate

🕹ī¸ Ported Desolate game from TI-83 Plus to ZX Spectrum

• rust-z80emu

A minimalistic Z80 Cpu emulation library in Rust.

• 8-bit-computer-emulator

Emulator of my 8-bit-computer

• 8-bit-computer

Documentation of my 8-bit computer build

• bansoko

Space-themed :rocket: Soko-Ban :video_game: clone created in Python using Pyxel.

• ByteFrost

Software Tools for ByteFrost - A Breadboard 8-Bit Computer

• PTM

PTM (Programmable Tile Machine) is a "pseudo-8-bit fantasy computer" that you can program using a built-in programming language called PTML.

• Project mention: I've been developing a sort of "fantasy console" that interprets a custom programming language that you can make little tile-based games with... It would be cool to see what people can create with it so I thought it would be a good idea to try posting here. More details in the comments: | /r/playmygame | 2023-05-27
  • SaaSHub

SaaSHub - Software Alternatives and Reviews. SaaSHub helps you find the best software and product alternatives

SaaSHub logo
NOTE: The open source projects on this list are ordered by number of github stars. The number of mentions indicates repo mentiontions in the last 12 Months or since we started tracking (Dec 2020).

8-bit related posts

Index

What are some of the best open-source 8-bit projects? This list will help you:

Project Stars
1 fantasy 1,305
2 CROSS-LIB 306
3 lzsa 227
4 AgonLight 217
5 hbc-56 171
6 arv32-opt 157
7 Mad-Pascal 109
8 apultra 96